Marco’s Monastery – Macedonian Orthodox monastery located near by the village Markova Susica in the valley of Marko’s River on its left bank, 20 km south from Skopje . The moonastery is active nowadays and it is run by female monastic sisterhood. In the monastery complex there is the church St. Demetrius with its unusual and imposing church bell tower.
The most important source document preserved, which is telling the history of Marko’s Monastery is the inscription above the southern entrance inside the church. It gives us data about the construction of the church and its founders. The article has the following content:
“This divine temple is to honor the Holy Great Martyr Victorious Christ and miracle man Saint Dimitri by King Volkasin and with queen Elena and their beloved daughters and sons- King Marko, Andreash, Ivanish and Dimitar. . The building of this monastery began in the year 1377 under the rule of Jesus loving Tzar Stephen and Jesus loving King Volkasin and was completed in the days of King Marko.”
The Second source document is placed on a chandelier with coasted letters telling the names of the donors as well as part of church history. A complement to the history of the monastery are the entries written on the columns and the walls of the church. One such entry is prominently engraved on the north facade of the church and north pillar in the nave of the church with the name of our Macedonian educator Kiril Pejchinovikj who was abbot of the monastery at the beginning of the nineteenth century from 1801 until 1818. In Marcos Monastery wrote his book “Mirror”, and established the school there.