The monastery St John the Batist is built on Bistra Mountain in Western Macedonia . Surrounded with lush forest, with a magnificant view of the mountain Korab the monastery lies in the beautiful canyon of Radika River in Reka County, nearby the villages Garry, Osoj, Tresonche, Galichnik, Rosoki and Lazaropole from were the most famous builders, painters, iconostasis makers and wood carvers of the 19th century came from. They built, decorated, painted and carved iconostasis in many churches in the Balkan Peninsula during that period of time. The monastery of St John the Baptis was a beacon and a pillar of the educational activities and literary center of the rewriting activity.
The monastery church was built on the foundations of an older church. It is mentioned in Zografos memories writings (1527 – 1728). Based on the monastery writings prescribed in 1883, the monastery was built in 1021, at the same time as when the old miraculous icon of St. John the Forerunner was painted. However nothing that is mentioned in the monastery writings is preserved from that period of time. The rebuilding of the church came in the second half of the 18th century and it is confirmed by partly preserved frescoes of the south wall of the church dating from that time.The central place in the complex is the monastery church built in 1800 during the time of abbot Metrophanes from Lazaropole, who was abbot of the monastery from 1796 to 1807. Immediately after the construction of the church in 1800 it was frescoes painted from inside. After the death of the abbot of the monastery Metrophanes, as new abbot comes his student Arsenie. During his management of the monastery he would be very meritorious, especially for large building actions that were taken. The church dedicated to St. John the Baptist has the look of Mount Athos churches with two domes and octagon vestibules. The construction of the church was constructed with rectangular carved stones and acts as a very solid construction. On the west side, a porch of wooden construction was built on the top floor as an entrance into the church, while the porch on the bottom floor was used as cell school. In the front porch of the church a water tap was built in 1814 and renovated in 1877 and on one stone slab we can read: From the time of quite Abbot Mikhail from the village of Galichnik. Brothers Christians, drink the sweet and cold water, calm down your thirsty souls and remember Neofita monk, who was born in the village Vehchano, Ohrid and rebuilt the water spring in 1877. Be blessed by God.
Porch of the church was in use from 1838 until 1938. Then it was renewed and it has the today look. Construction of the monastery quarters belongs Archimandrite Arsenie – abbot of the monastery Baptist. The north side of the church, monastery inn is called Upper light, and was built in 1814. Living quarters served monastic brothers and guests who came to visit the monastery. In 1825 Godo west side of the upper light, male and female were built dining selechkata and Debar chamber and the low end was headed to the barn. Nadadenite verandas between male and female dining and today preserved grain barns. Butt place between building with dining rooms and the upper light is former megjernica, and under it was the oven. All that is preserved today. Accommodation momocite who served the monastery was built a separate building to the west of the church, which is now preserved in the upper parts and so is
conserved. Adjacent to the west side is a family house with ground and first floor.